Saturday, June 11, 2011

Musical Gems - The Theremin and the Chapman Stick

I have a very timid relationship with music. It is one of my favorite methods of expressing emotion, yet I'm too untrained to speak its language with any degree of fluency. Still, I do plan on being a rather well-trained musician at some point. I would definitely like to learn how to play these:

The Theremin: A musical instrument which uses two antennae and radio frequencies. The pitch antenna is controlled by the right hand, and pitch rises the closer the hand is moved towards the antenna. The volume antenna is controlled by the left hand; the further the distance, the louder the tone.



The Chapman Stick: A musical instrument roughly based on the guitar or bass, usually ten to twelve strings, played by tapping or hammering the strings (as opposed to strumming, picking, or plucking)


That video has it all; geek cred, a girl, and musical leetness. Nerdgasm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my waterfall. Play nice.