Friday, August 12, 2011

A Mother's Birthday Prayer

Dear Lord,

I have a simple list of things I would like for my birthday. I haven't asked for much in a very long time. I don't think this is too much; I'm not asking for world peace or for millions of dollars.

But:
I would like my family to experience the peace of knowing the bills are paid for.

I would like my wife/husband/partner to know that if s/he dies or is in an accident the healthcare and life insurance will be there to help us cope.

I would like my children to go to a good school and learn job skills that will help them be whatever they want to go grow up to be, and that college isn't so expensive that we are caught between making too much for financial aid, but too little to afford it.

I would like not to be so stressed out, have less on my mind, and have more free time to do the things I enjoy, like gardening, or reading a book, or just watching my kids play.

I want to not have a full fridge at the beginning of the month, and little else but canned goods at the end of the month.

I don't want to have to worry about choosing between gas money, tire money, oil change money, diaper money, clothes money, rent money, and food money.

I want my children to grow up knowing they can feel comfortable being whoever they are, gay, straight, bi, black, white, yellow, red, purple, green, a freak or the most boring person on earth, without having to worry about getting beaten up by bullies - including bullies in the form of teachers and administrators.

God, I don't care about candles or birthday cakes or presents, this year. All I want is a peaceful year ahead so my family can get on its feet.

Think you can send me a little help?

Signed,
Every Mother On Planet Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my waterfall. Play nice.